The concept of the name Polymer Institute of Nigeria was first conceived in July 1988 at the Lagos State University Guest House, Badagry.
The idea later translated into the 1st National Workshop on Plastic and Rubber: Processing, Quality control and investment held in the same month.
At the end of the workshop, a committee was set up which comprised Dr. T. A. Ibidapo (Secretary Pro-Tempore), Dr. A. O. Fashina (late) of RRIN Benin City, Chief Kunle Ogunade of Petro-Organic, Ms. May Ikokwu of the then NNPC.
The committee held meetings in Lagos and Benin City where the issue of PIN registration and its inauguration were concluded.
In August 1991, the dreams of the founding fathers came to pass with the formal registration and inauguration of the Institute.
The Polymer Executive Council as at the time of its inauguration consisted of the following persons:
- Chief Kunle Ogunade – President
- Dr. Ayoola Fasina – Vice President (Operations)
- Mmanuaku May Ikokwu – Vice President (Finance)
- Dr. Thomas Odozi – National Secretary
- F. A. Ogbogboh – Treasurer
- Tunde Odusina – Publicity Secretary
What started 24 years ago with membership strength of less than 50 has grown to strength of about 380 members. The secretariat has equally moved at one time to Bagco Company at Iganmu. Lagos to the present office at Suite 29 & 30, Decent Plaza, Behind G.S.S. Gwarimpa, Lifecamp, Abuja, FCT.
Past & Present President(s) of PIN
- Chief (Engr.) Kunle Ogunade – 1989 -1995
- Ms. May Ikokwu – 1995 – 1998
- Dr. T. O. Odozi – 1998 – 2001
- Dr. P. C. Nzelu (Late) – 2001 – 2005
- Dr. E. J. Asore (Late) – Oct 2005 – Dec. 2005
- Prof. B. T. Nwufo – Dec. 2005 – Oct. 2011
- Dr. J. E. Imanah – 2011 – Oct. 2015
- Prof. Paul Mamza – Oct. 2015 till Date